STP......200 mile bike ride
John asked me a while ago what I may want to do for my 40th birthday. What did I choose....a 204 mile bike ride from Seattle to Portland. It's a popular ride and always sells out within a few days each year. John graciously agreed to do it with me.....I'm sure secretly wishing I had picked a trip to some relaxing destination! Friday night we took the ferry to Seattle and rode our bikes to the University of Washington where we stayed in a dorm room overnight. We both agreed we were so glad we didn't have to live in the dorms for college...the room was smelly, small and the beds were horrible. Anyway we got up at 4:30 Saturday morning and prepared for the start of our journey. We took off from the start line around 6 am with some of the other 10,000 riders. We stopped to visit our favorite Seattle police officer, Uncle Glen, then continued on our adventure.
It was a beautiful ride, the weather could not have been better and it was so awesome to be surrounded by so many bikers. The ride is hugely supported with stops about every 25 miles. We reached the half way point a little before 2, refueled and rested a few minutes then continued on another 50 miles. 150 miles in just under 12 hours......we were very tired. We got into our hotel room, showered and found some place to eat. We both crashed out early and were so glad to be in comfy beds!
Day two we weren't sure how we would feel, but it wasn't as bad as we thought. We were so glad we did 150 in the first day, 50 more miles didn't seem so terrible. We reached Portland in about 3 1/2 hours, feeling pretty good! I am so grateful for such a wonderful husband who will support me in all my athletic adventures......I could not have done this ride without him, he is my ROCK!
Now what to do for our next adventure???????
Comments