Amity's Europe recap
Our adventure was much more than I ever expected. The family time was priceless and I learned so much about other countries, cultures, and so much WWII history. I really never knew much about art, or had a real interest in learning but I was so impressed and learned so much I have a new found interest, it was fascinating!
Some other things I learned:
* Europe doesn't fancy ice. For someone who LOVES ice in my drinks, especially when it's hot out - this was a struggle.
* We had to pay for water most everywhere - tap water isn't a thing.
* Hotels didn't supply washcloths - I learned that the Europeans find this very "personal" so they don't provide one - kinda like a toothbrush.
* Pic pockets are a real thing - fortunately, we didn't experience it but did see it happen to someone - that sense of panic on their face, we felt so bad for them.
* Iced coffee wasn't a thing either. Mac tried so hard to get me an iced coffee and ended up with a small espresso with one ice cube - Italians don't understand our overindulgence of coffee.... but their americanos and espressos are sooooo much better!
* Europeans begin their floors on 0 instead of 1, so what we could consider the 3rd floor is actually the 4th.....
* Switzerland was the biggest surprise to me - like a fairytale land and one of the first places I would like to go back to.....Germany being second.
* Jet lag is a real thing.......
This was truly the trip of a lifetime and a great mix of activities, history, and lots of family time together. John was able to share his love of Malta and travel with us, he was truly our hero and taught us the ways of international travel! He drove us everywhere when we had to drive - including stick shift on the opposite side of the road - on very, very small roads, put out a fire in our first air b and b, protected us through the streets of Paris during a "tense" time, walked with Emily to see lights late at night and was the primary poster to keep all of you informed of our travels. THANK YOU John for being our rock!
Comments