Golfing Omaha Beach


Normandy has always been on my bucket list.  I never imagined having an opportunity to golf with my son there.  This was a special round and one I will remember forever.  We had the second tee time of the day and the pro shop told me they had plenty of clubs but when we showed up 30 min before they opened there was a group of 5 already there.  They were from all over the east coast for a high school trip, with 3 kids and 2 adults.  Turns out they took every set of rentals even though 3 of them had tee times after us.  Before we gave in and went home I asked the girl at the pro shop if there was anything else and she said she would try to put something together.  She came back with a 3 wood, Hybrid, 5,7,9, Pw, Sw, and putter all are different makes and models.  Mac said right away “that will do!”  When we got outside he said we just got the lost and found but let’s play. (He was right)  No golf shoes, gloves, towels, range finders, or ball markers, heck we even borrowed 2 tees from the guys behind us.  

I did buy some balls and we had the best time.  There was no pressure and it allowed us to truly appreciate what afforded us the ability to even set foot on that course.  Each hole was dedicated to a General from one of the Allies.  My favorite was a par 3, steep downhill named after General Patton.  Maybe because it was one of my better shots.  Despite the garden tools we played with we both shot respectable.  Mac shot an 85 and I got a 94.  

We would have loved to share a set of Calloway Rouges but playing and appreciating the course with what we had made it way better.  

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging with Aunt Christina

Movie with the kids