A new perspective

As I continue with some struggles with Mac, one of those is his lallygagging, often he goes at his own pace which drives both John and I nuts. Sometimes if I ask him to hurry, he asks me to be patient, or just looks at me like I'm nuts for bugging him to get going.

Today as we were leaving the house to go to swimming lessons, we head out to the car and as usual I ask Mac to hurry up and get in his seat. Mac likes buckling himself in his seat, which takes a little extra time, but I like that he wants to do it. Anyway I get Emily buckled in, I'm in my seat with the car started and my seat belt on, Mac still isn't in the car, which is a regular occurrence.

After me asking twice for him to get in and let's go, he finally is ready to go, 5 minutes from the time we walked out the door. When I asked him what he was doing, he tells me "watching the birds".

Tonight as I was replaying our day in my head I finally came to the realization that Mac just enjoys life and I need to allow him to do so whenever possible, it's just who he is, at least for now. While this may be a phase or a preschool age thing, when we aren't rushed to get somewhere, if we've got a few minutes I will let Mac enjoy whatever his is doing whether its chasing a frog, watching birds or wanting to go say hi to a neighbor, that's my little man. I probably could learn a few things from him......

Comments

Karen said…
It truly is amazing the wisdom that comes from such young little minds, isn't it? So great that you're a Mom who knows just how important it is to listen to what the kids are saying---you'll never regret taking the time to enjoy those simple things with them!
Isn't it great, the innocence of a young boy like Mac... He don't have to have to worry about schedules and all the stress we adults sometime face.

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging with Aunt Christina

Movie with the kids